From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] major problem after samba update
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 07:53:49
1 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 05:11:08 PM covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > > covici@××××××××××.com writes:
6 > > > > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 > > > >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
8 > > > >> > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
9 > > > >> >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
10 > > > >> >> > Hi. I just upgraded from samba 4.1.x to 4.2.7 and in one of my
11 > > > >> >> > shares,
12 > > > >> >> > I can not access any subfolders of that share. It usually gives
13 > > > >> >> > me some
14 > > > >> >> > kind of windows permission error, or just location not available.
15 > > > >> >> > Windows tells me I can't even display the advanced security
16 > > > >> >> > settings for
17 > > > >> >> > any folder. Anyone know what they did and how to fix? There is a
18 > > > >> >> > hard
19 > > > >> >> > blocker to downgrading, so maybe something is up.
20 > > > >> >> >
21 > > > >> >> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
22 > > > >> >>
23 > > > >> >> Do they have a changelog which you looked at? Can you mount these
24 > > > >> >> shares from a Linux client?
25 > > > >> >
26 > > > >> > These are on a Linux server, so there is no problem there.
27 > > > >>
28 > > > >> Can you definitely mount the share from a remote Linux client without
29 > > > >> problems?
30 > > > >>
31 > > > >> > Changelog doesn't say anything but the version number.
32 > > > >
33 > > > > I don't have any remote linux client and this is samba, used so that
34 > > > > windows can access the share.
35 > > >
36 > > > You could make a copy of everything in the inaccessible share, make a
37 > > > new share with settings identical to the settings of the shares that are
38 > > > still accessible when copying has finished, and try to access the new
39 > > > share with a remote client.
40 > > >
41 > > > If you can access the new share, either something with the old one is
42 > > > weird, or you have changed something like permissions or extended
43 > > > attributes by copying.
44 > > >
45 > > >
46 > > > If you cannot access the new share, try a different kernel version (or
47 > > > try a different kernel version first). I've had a case in which a
48 > > > kernel would freeze/panic when the directory contents of a directory
49 > > > that was exported via NFS were displayed with ls on a NFS client.
50 > > >
51 > > > IIRC samba uses kernel support on the server. Perhaps you have a
52 > > > version mismatch between the new samba version and what the kernel
53 > > > supports.
54 > >
55 > > The share is my whole system, so obviously I cannot copy to a new
56 > > share. I have one share working correctly -- the files under that share
57 > > are owned by the user that I am logging in as, so if I log in as root,
58 > > you would think I could access everything, so this is very strange.
59 >
60 > Not necessarily, samba doesn't allow root automatically access to everything.
61
62 OK, thanks, what are the conditions for that, or where can I find them
63 out?
66 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
67 How do
68 you spend it?
69
70 John Covici