From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:01:07
1 On 24/04/2013 10:24, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 01:22:37 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have mix of various sizes. The best feature about ReiserFS is that
5 >> it doesn't do inodes, so I don't have to be psychic about my future file
6 >> mix when I format the partition. For that reason alone, I'm tempted to
7 >> stay with ReiserFS3. I'm aware of the booby traps...
8 >>
9 >> - *NEVER EVER* have an uncompressed ReiserFS image on a ReiserFS
10 >> partition
11 >>
12 >> - avoid Postfix and Qmail
13 >
14 > Why? I ask because I have a mail server with reiserfs on the mail spool,
15 > it's been running for several years and behaved impeccably, but if there
16 > is a good reason to switch, I will.
17
18 It's one of those maybe-it-is, maybe-it-isn't scenarios.
19
20 Wiki has a pretty accurate description of the scene wrt mail spools:
21
22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS#Criticism
23
24 Personally, I dunno. Yes, it could be an issue but it's not one I've
25 actually seen rear it's head. I suspect Walter has an unfair opinion
26 tainted my a few personal bad experiences (but that can happen with any
27 system and software).
28
29 His first statement though is very good advice. Never store a reiser
30 image on a feiser fs, and never use reiser in a VM on a host fs that is
31 also reiser. The reason is what happens when you try fsck it - reiser
32 metadata (unlike ext*) is not all in fixed pre-determined locations on
33 disk, so fsck can employ heuristics to go and look for it's metadata. If
34 it finds it's own metadata and also the metadata in the stored image, it
35 can't tell them apart. The results of that are not pretty.
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com