From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another angle on hal/xorg thread
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:51:52
1 On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 11:25:49 -0500, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 > On 11/4/2009 10:51 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> I didn't want to derail the ongoing thread about hal/xorg with this
5 >> question there.
6 >>
7 >> Far as I remember I haven't done anything special concerning hal but
8 >> at some point hal disappeared. And is not on my system anymore.
9 >
10 > I believe that some packages in portage recently masked off the "hal"
11 > USE flag (GNOME stuff, maybe?), so if those were the only packages
12 > relying on hal it might have gone away.
13 >
14 >> I've always used and /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for starting X.
15 >> What I'm wondering from seeing this kind of topic frequently here is
16 >> if I'm running in some deprecated mode?
17 >>
18 >> If my setup using no hal, and xorg.conf is going to become outdated
19 >> and stop working anytime soon?
20 >
21 > The answer is a solid "who the heck knows".
22 >
23 > If it works for you now, don't mess with it. Wait for the
24 > Xorg/hal/devkit/whatever situation to settle down before you go making
25 > any drastic changes.
26
27 I'd just save all the config files for future reference, specially if you
28 are going to keep your hardware for a long time. For the rest, use whatever
29 works for you right now. I remind you also of quickpkg, in case you need to
30 test and revert packages quickly.
31
32 > Some people, like myself, are running X with hal and no .conf file and
33 > it works like a champ. I get better hardware detection with hal,
34 > especially on my laptop, than I ever got manually.
35 >
36 > Other people have had problems with hal and Xorg not detecting their
37 > hardware at all. What you are "frequently" seeing is those people
38 > reminding everyone, every time the topic come up, that you don't *need*
39 > to use the new hal-ified way if it doesn't work for you.
40
41 This whole hal stuff has always been a mess. Yes, it works for a few
42 persons out of the box. But for those that don't, it has brought a lot of
43 trouble. I've never suggested anyone ditching hal when it worked for him or
44 her. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I can't help but to think that
45 I've never liked hal because it's a monsters that doesn't solve the
46 problems that it was created to solve, except in a few cases out of pure
47 chance. I still don't know what's so amazing about the hal automounting
48 stuff, when a simple udev rule can do exactly the same without tainting all
49 my software. Now hal has proven to be what a lot of people knew it was from
50 the beginning, just think of the lot of wasted hours, and the other lot
51 that will be wasted to remove all the metastases on every single program it
52 has touched with its tentacles. Hopefully a big part of it would be a
53 conversion rather than a complete rewrite.
54
55 However, I am sure that they've learn from the experience, and that's a
56 good thing, it's useless to talk now about *what* could have been done and
57 *how*, we have to look forward, everyone including those that just like me
58 do not like hal. It's the kind of thing that happens when we integrate
59 non-mature technologies into every single product under the sun: if they
60 succeed they are visionaries. If they don't, then everyone complains, human
61 nature I guess. :)
62 --
63 Jesús Guerrero