From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS not allowing configuration from browser
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:52:51
1 On 2/9/06, Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Hi Brett,
4 > > Yes, I zapped it and tried restarting it but I get complaints.
7 > Try
8 >
9 > pgrep cupsd
10 >
11 > and see if there's a PID listed. If so, do
12 >
13 > pkill cupsd
14 > /etc/init.d/cupsd zap
15 > /etc/init.d/cupsd start
16
17 Good so far:
18
19 mark@lightning ~ $ su -
20 Password:
21 lightning ~ # pgrep cupsd
22 8015
23 lightning ~ # pkill cupsd
24 lightning ~ # /etc/init.d/cupsd zap
25 lightning ~ # /etc/init.d/cupsd start
26 * Starting cupsd ... [ ok ]
27 lightning ~ #
28
29 I then go to http://localhost:631 and choose Manage Printers. I see
30 both printers which are on the network. One is on my son's FC2
31 machine, and is currently default. I also see the printer on the Mac.
32 I clock on the Mac printer's 'Set as default' button. I'm taken to a
33 page that says:
34
35 Forbidden
36 You don't have permission to access the resource on this server.
37
38 This doesn't happen on the 'Print Test page' button. That one
39 correctly sends a test page to each printer. However all other buttons
40 result in the message above. The used to allow me to type in a
41 password and do what I needed.
42
43 I'm still quite concerned that the cupsd config files are hosed. As
44 I've said there is nothing in the printers.conf file except a couple
45 of header lines.
48 > What's probably happened is that etc-update updated the
49 > /etc/init.d/cupsd script so it changes the location where it stores the
50 > PID it has to kill when you do a "stop", therefore running
51 > /etc/init.d/cupsd fails to kill the actual cupsd process. Since a cupsd
52 > is already running (the old cupsd) you can't start a new one since
53 > they'd compete for ports.
54 >
55 > For this reason I usually do a "/etc/init.d/<service> stop" before
56 > allowing etc-update to update any file in /etc/init.d, and then start it
57 > again after the update.
60 Probably a good idea.
61
62 Thanks,