From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS not allowing configuration from browser
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:27:06
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi Brett,
3 > Yes, I zapped it and tried restarting it but I get complaints.
6 Try
7
8 pgrep cupsd
9
10 and see if there's a PID listed. If so, do
11
12 pkill cupsd
13 /etc/init.d/cupsd zap
14 /etc/init.d/cupsd start
15
16 What's probably happened is that etc-update updated the
17 /etc/init.d/cupsd script so it changes the location where it stores the
18 PID it has to kill when you do a "stop", therefore running
19 /etc/init.d/cupsd fails to kill the actual cupsd process. Since a cupsd
20 is already running (the old cupsd) you can't start a new one since
21 they'd compete for ports.
22
23 For this reason I usually do a "/etc/init.d/<service> stop" before
24 allowing etc-update to update any file in /etc/init.d, and then start it
25 again after the update.
29 Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
30 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
31 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list