From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with the stability pact?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 02:11:46
1 On 09/29/2011 09:42 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > Several days ago I did raise my concern on this behavior when I noticed
5 > that emerge wants to downgrade my hardened-sources. Although I'm using
6 > ~amd64, I draw the line on 3.0 and specified ~2.6.39.
7 >
8 > Now I'm forced to maintain a private/personal overlay to ensure that the
9 > kernels of my boxen don't get downgraded.
10 >
11 > I'll reconsider my stance in November; hopefully by that time essential
12 > packages will no longer fall apart when encountering 3.x.y.
13 >
14 > Rgds,
17 Until portage forces you to 'cd' into the new directory, copy your old
18 config, make oldconfig, make, make modules install, install the kernel,
19 update grub, fix the symlink, rebuild out-of-tree modules, and delete
20 your old kernel directory -- you can safely ignore whatever it's trying
21 to do to you.
22
23 It's perfectly safe to unmerge the old version, even though portage
24 doesn't do that for slotted packages. It won't remove files that aren't
25 part of the source tarball; i.e. everything you actually care about in
26 /usr/src/linux after you've recompiled any out-of-tree modules.