From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with the stability pact?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:43:52
1 On Sep 30, 2011 1:10 AM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
4 > > Hi, Gentoo!
5 > >
6 > > Why are there so many packages whose versions never become stable? By
7 > > "many", I mean here at least two. :-)
8 > >
9 > > These are the kernel and Firefox.
10 > >
11 > > My kernel is currently 2.6.39-gentoo-r3, built on July 18. By examining
12 > > ebuilds, I now see that the ~amd64 is already up to 3.0.4-r1. I've
13 > > missed 3.0.[0-3], it seems.
14 >
15 > The 2.6.x has stabilized versions. 3.x has been kept masked, because
16 > even though it isn't significantly different from the latest 2.6.x, a
17 > lot of tools were shown to fall apart when they see 3.x.y rather than
18 > 2.6.x.
21 Several days ago I did raise my concern on this behavior when I noticed that
22 emerge wants to downgrade my hardened-sources. Although I'm using ~amd64, I
23 draw the line on 3.0 and specified ~2.6.39.
24
25 Now I'm forced to maintain a private/personal overlay to ensure that the
26 kernels of my boxen don't get downgraded.
27
28 I'll reconsider my stance in November; hopefully by that time essential
29 packages will no longer fall apart when encountering 3.x.y.
30
31 Rgds,