From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One machine sends "emerge" text output to stderr, not stdout
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:51:47
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 02:20 on Thursday 18 November 2010, Walter
2 Dnes did opine thusly:
3
4 > Because I don't want a repeat of the ipv6 fiasco where I had an almost
5 > non-functional browser, mediaplayer (for internet files), etc, etc. And
6 > I also had to run "emerge --newuse --update world" and inspect the
7 > output from "emerge -pv --depclean" and remove additional stuff, and
8 > then revdep-rebuild to clean up the resulting extra "goodies". If I
9 > don't use "-*" what's the next flag that the devs will add? And how many
10 > of my current packages will link against it?
11
12 emerge -avuND world will show you, in colour, USE flags that have changed. You
13 can then decide what to do about them.
14
15 Your way, you have to explicitly add back in all the flags you want. You will
16 not receive the benefit of seeing changed defaults (and there might be a good
17 reason for the change, but now you will miss them). You also just trashed most
18 of the usefulness of profiles and have to manually tracked all default USE
19 changes yourself.
20
21 The usual way (not to do what you do) still lets you control as much as you
22 want but with the minimum effort as opposed to the maximum effort. You will
23 only need to make a decision when a decision needs to be made.
24
25 Why are you making more work for yourself? Portage is software, let it do what
26 software is good at - removing drudge work from your life so you can get on
27 with the important things, stuff that needs thought
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com