From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One machine sends "emerge" text output to stderr, not stdout
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:20:38
1 On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:41:45PM +0000, Stroller wrote
2
3 > It's probably fixed in one of the updates! Why are you posting before
4 > you checked that!?!?
5
6 It started happening suddenly And yes, I did search bugzilla,
7 although I admit my searches aren't always perfect. And if "emerge
8 --sync" output ends up telling me there is a portage update, I do run
9 it first.
10
11 > > The main quirk on my mcahines is that I start USE with "-*" on all my
12 > > machines. This goes back to when the developers "in their infinite
13 > > wisdom", decided to make ipv6 a default USE flag.
14 >
15 > Why not just use -ipv6 as a global USE flag!?!?
16 >
17 > I have to admit that the Gentoo devs have in the past made decisions
18 > which have caused me to be suspicious of their sanity. But if I
19 > disagree with them over a USE flag I just add it to make.conf.
20
21 Because I don't want a repeat of the ipv6 fiasco where I had an almost
22 non-functional browser, mediaplayer (for internet files), etc, etc. And
23 I also had to run "emerge --newuse --update world" and inspect the
24 output from "emerge -pv --depclean" and remove additional stuff, and
25 then revdep-rebuild to clean up the resulting extra "goodies". If I
26 don't use "-*" what's the next flag that the devs will add? And how many
27 of my current packages will link against it?
28
29 On occasion, "emerge -pv --deep --update world" will complain that a
30 certain USE flag is required for my config. At that time, I will decide
31 if I really want the package that requires the flag, and if so, whether
32 to enable the flag globally or one-off in /etc/package.use
33
34 OK, so I'm a control freak. That's one reason I left Windows. I want
35 to be in charge of my machine.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>