From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GDM kbd/mouse lockup after emerge --update on a stable amd64 platform - need hints to cure
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:56:39
1 On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Alex Schuster<wonko@×××××××××.org>
4 >>  wrote:
5 >>> G.Wolfe Woodbury writes:
6 >>>> On 12/22/2011 02:00 AM, Pintér Tibor wrote:
7 >>>>> Reemerge all xf86* packages
8 >>>>> Quite obvious as the log clearly gives the clue (new xorg server
9 >>>>> version, driver version mismatch)
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I looked right at it and missed the obvious!  Thanks for the
12 >>>> clue-by-four.
13 >>>
14 >>> BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.
15 >>>
16 >>>        Wonko
17 >>>
18 >> emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
19 >> following sets exist:
20 >>
21 >>     selected
22 >>     system
23 >>     world
26 > Someone posted this one liner a while back:
27 >
28 > emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
29 >
30 > That takes care of the video driver, mouse, keyboard and such.  Mine is
31 > these packages:
32 >
33 > root@fireball / # qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
34 > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
35 > x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
36 > x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
37 > x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
38 > root@fireball / #
39
40 I wound up doing something similar, involving a mix of eix, grep and sed.
43 > I try to remember to run that when I upgrade the kernel or xorg.  I usually
44 > forget and have to do the SysReq keystroke magic.  After I slap my forehead
45 > of course.
46
47 I still don't know the SysReq magic. I've just ssh'd in. If I can't do
48 that, it usually means something hardlocked.
51 > There are quite a few of these commands that gets posted from time to time.
52 >  As a hint, I have a text file in my /root directory that contains the
53 > commands and a description.  I just cat and grep the file when I need to.  I
54 > wouldn't recommend a user directory tho.  If for someone reason only root is
55 > mounted, then you can get to /root but not /home if it is a separate
56 > partition.  You, and other Gentooers, may want to think about doing
57 > something like this.
58 >
59 > Hope this helps in some small way.
60
61 Funny thing is, I thought I'd taken care of it. It didn't crop up for
62 me until xscreensaver kicked in, which crashed X due to differeing ABI
63 versions between what was already running and what xscreensaver tried
64 to get linked in. Guess I should remember to restart X. :)
67 :wq