From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GDM kbd/mouse lockup after emerge --update on a stable amd64 platform - need hints to cure
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:03:47
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > I still don't know the SysReq magic. I've just ssh'd in. If I can't do
3 > that, it usually means something hardlocked.
4
5 This is from a post Neil made many ages ago. Notice the random sig too.
6
7 "Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
8 usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken
9
10 By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O
11
12 -- Neil Bothwick System halted - Press all keys at once to continue." Me
13 again, don't forget to include the options in the kernel config too.
14 Should look like this: root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i
15 sysrq CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y root@fireball / # When it locks up to the
16 point that those keys don't work, grip the plug firmly and pull. I
17 usually get to about the E and sometimes the I before I find myself at a
18 console. Another thing, it is best if you use that to go all the way
19 down to single user mode, make sure no processes are running that
20 shouldn't with top or something then go back to regular default mode. I
21 say that because sometimes there is plenty of cruft left hanging around.
22 It stops services but the services still have run and lock files and it
23 leads to errors. You could also just reboot too.
24
25 >> There are quite a few of these commands that gets posted from time to time.
26 >> As a hint, I have a text file in my /root directory that contains the
27 >> commands and a description. I just cat and grep the file when I need to. I
28 >> wouldn't recommend a user directory tho. If for someone reason only root is
29 >> mounted, then you can get to /root but not /home if it is a separate
30 >> partition. You, and other Gentooers, may want to think about doing
31 >> something like this.
32 >>
33 >> Hope this helps in some small way.
34 > Funny thing is, I thought I'd taken care of it. It didn't crop up for
35 > me until xscreensaver kicked in, which crashed X due to differeing ABI
36 > versions between what was already running and what xscreensaver tried
37 > to get linked in. Guess I should remember to restart X. :)
40 Yea, some updates are tricky. A good while back, I could upgrade all of
41 KDE and not logout until it is done. Now I have to logout at least a
42 couple times or things get buggy. I guess things are pretty tight
43 between programs nowadays.
44
45 Dale
46
50 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
51
52 Miss the compile output? Hint:
53 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"