From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]Computer build, was PCIe x1 or PCIe x4 SATA controller card
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:41:28
1 On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 6:01 AM Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Gamer boards tend to skimp on ports, because those people generally care
4 > mostly for their GPU (plus design and RGB).
5
6 Well, that, and the CPU only has so many PCIe lanes and adding ports
7 beyond that requires a switch. Also, if they have two 16x slots to
8 allow for dual graphics cards those eat up quite a few of the lanes
9 (even if one isn't actually 16x).
12 > Here, Linus is showcasing an 8-drives storage machine in a Fractal Define R4:
13 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJViwtct5g
14 > And here a system with 18 drives 🤪 in a Fractal Define 7XL:
15 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAy9N1vX76o
16
17 I think a lot of the consumer cases have been moving away from
18 accommodating hard drives and making more room for gigantic GPUs.
19
20 All that said, I have largely abandoned the crusade of trying to
21 squeeze a dozen hard drives into one host, in favor of distributed
22 filesystems. If you're only putting a few drives per host and having
23 more hosts then it becomes pretty easy to find hardware that works.
24
25 Finally, for any system that will be running 24x7 I'd suggest
26 optimizing for power use per unit of computation (which is a hard
27 figure to find), and idle power use (unless you actually do something
28 that keeps the server busy 24x7). Usually newer processors will do
29 better here. The up-front costs of a CPU are likely to be dwarfed by
30 the cost of powering it. ARM is of course advantageous if you don't
31 need too much horsepower or RAM. Unfortunately ARM boards with lots
32 of RAM are crazy-expensive so it isn't a great option if you need more
33 than a few GB.
34
35 There has been interest in using mini PCs from corporate used sales as
36 servers, and I'm thinking about building storage around a solution
37 like this. The drives would need to be external of course, but USB3
38 is plenty fast for hard drives. However, it is hard to find easy to
39 lookup metrics on power use and stats like USB3/etc - most filters on
40 used product sale sites just have filters for RAM and maybe CPU. You
41 do need to be careful as some of those systems could have high power
42 draw or lack USB3 or even gigabit LAN, making them unsuitable for 24x7
43 storage. The price and form factor can be very attractive though, and
44 power use still tends to be low since large companies do think about
45 those costs.
48 Rich
55 Rich