From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoos community communication rant
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:30:46
1 On 2010-09-07, Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> Do everyone a favor. Go use Gmane and tell us what exactly
4 >> you'd be able to do that Gmane does not already do.
5 >> It's archived, search-able (via keywords) and many, many
6 >> other very cool features.
7 >
8 > I do you favour and confirm that it is a very cool web interface to
9 > newsgroups.
10
11 Just as importantly, it allows access to mailing lists using NNTP
12 clients. I read all mailing lists using slrn. I find the "news"
13 paradigm vastly superior to the "mail" paradigm for following mailing
14 lists.
15
16 Once in a while I use it for web access as well, but that's rare.
17
18 > It is especially usefull if you have to switch between machines. It
19 > is good that they mirror the gentoo mailing lists and give them an
20 > archive. As long as you work from the same desktop a classical
21 > newsreader seems still more comfortable to me.
22
23 I work from a variety of machines, and I still use the "classical
24 newsreader". I do keep my .newsrc files at a central location where
25 they are used from all the machines where I run slrn.
26
27 > However, my concern was why the Gentoo community doesn't make use of
28 > those cool features and officially only advertises and keeps a
29 > mailing list, that has no history itself for example and how this
30 > approach influences and limits the culture of communication.
31
32 I'm afraid you lost me there. Why does it matter where the archive is?
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I just had my entire
36 at INTESTINAL TRACT coated
37 gmail.com with TEFLON!