From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:00:54
1 On Thursday 27 January 2011 22:18:22 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday 27 January 2011 23:05:22 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4
5 > > >> Once, when building my kernel, I accidentally forgot to specify the
6 > > >> number of makes and ran "make -j all". That was a really bad idea, the
7 > > >> system became totally unresponsive for quite a long time, much longer
8 > > >> than normal kernel build time, but it did eventually finish!
9 > > >
10 > > > I have found that multi-core systems with sufficient memory can handle
11 > > > "-j" (no value) a lot better then sindle-core systems. I do on occasion
12 > > > do it with the kernel and can still continue using the system. (For
13 > > > comparison, my desktop is a 4-core AMD64 with 8GB memory)
14 > >
15 > > Strange, in my case it was an i7 920 (4 cores, hyperthreaded, appears
16 > > as 8 CPUs to Linux) with 12GB of RAM. Maybe if I prefixed it
17 > > with"nice" it would not have brought my computer to its knees... or
18 > > maybe related to the schedulers and other kernel voodoo that I don't
19 > > understand. I might try it again someday :)
20 >
21 > That is strange, unless your harddrive is really underperforming?
22 > Or do you have all the options in the kernel selected?
23 >
24 > Btw, HyperThreading doesn't work too well when you have a lot of identical
25 > tasks. In that case, you might end up with lesser performance as there are
26 > no "usable unused" parts in your cores, but the CPU-schedules (the
27 > hardware one for HT) is looking for things to fill those last few bits
28 > with.
29
30 I'm running i7 Q 720 (4 cores, hyperthreaded) and have MAKEOPTS="-j9" without
31 any slowdown. One or two packages (like OpenOffice) will fail and need -j=1
32 to emerge. Otherwise no noticeable drop in desktop responsiveness.
33
34 I have not set up portage niceness so it runs with default value.
35
36 Given the above what shall I set --load-average as?
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick