From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 07:17:46
1 On Thursday 27 January 2011 23:59:24 Mick wrote:
2 > I'm running i7 Q 720 (4 cores, hyperthreaded) and have MAKEOPTS="-j9"
3 > without any slowdown. One or two packages (like OpenOffice) will fail and
4 > need -j=1 to emerge. Otherwise no noticeable drop in desktop
5 > responsiveness.
6 >
7 > I have not set up portage niceness so it runs with default value.
8 >
9 > Given the above what shall I set --load-average as?
10
11 Not sure, I tested last night with a value of 12 and my system was still
12 responsive.
13
14 It depends, I think, on how well your system handles higher load.
15
16 The best suggestion I can give is to actually test with values and see how
17 well it responds.
20 Joost