From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 15:07:10
1 On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 09/12/17 23:36, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> you instead compute 5 sets of parity so that now you have 9 sets of
4 >> data that can tolerate the loss of any 5, then throw away the sets
5 >> containing the original 4 sets of data and store the remaining 5 sets
6 >> of parity data across the 5 drives. You can still tolerate the loss
7 >> of one more set, but all 4 of the original sets of data have been
8 >> tossed already.
9 >
10 > Is that how ZFS works?
13 I doubt it, hence why I wrote "most parity RAID systems seem to
14 operate just as you describe."
17 Rich