From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing virtual machine under gentoo
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 20:41:01
1 On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 10:12:05 -0500,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 9:40 AM Petric Frank <pfrank@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Am Freitag, 31. Dezember 2021, 15:31:43 CET schrieb Yixun Lan:
7 > > > On 07:33 Fri 31 Dec , John Covici wrote:
8 > > > > Hi. I am looking for some guidance on installing virtual machines
9 > > > > under gentoo. I have a 5.10.82 kernel and I would like to use kvm if
10 > > > > possible to do this. I have seen lots of instructions for installing
11 > > > > vms using virtualbox but not much else. I have a gentoo system with
12 > > > > enough memory to run a vm or two and would like to use it as the host.
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I have downloaded xen to take a look at it as well.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > I hope this is not too vague, so please bare with me.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
19 > > >
20 > > > I'd suggest to try qemu kvm + libvirt
21 > >
22 > > For a graphical GUI frontend for this you can use app-emulation/virt-manager.
23 >
24 > ++
25 >
26 > This is just a front-end to libvirt and kvm, so you're building
27 > entirely on solid technologies, and anything you set up with the GUI
28 > can be edited or run or otherwise managed from the command line, and
29 > vice-versa. It ends up resembling something like VirtualBox or the
30 > old VMWare Workstation edition, but it is all FOSS and in-kernel so it
31 > just is more reliable/etc.
32 >
33 > That said, I only use VMs situationally and at this point just about
34 > everything I'm doing is in containers if it can be linux-based. Way
35 > lighter all-around, even if I'm running a full OS in the container. I
36 > personally prefer to run my containers with nspawn and virtual
37 > ethernet, so each container gets its own IP via DHCP.
38 >
39 > Oh, and for kvm if you want to run your guests on your main LAN you'll
40 > probably need to set up a bridge interface.
41
42 Thanks everyone. I probably will have more questions, I will continue
43 this thread later.
46 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
47 How do
48 you spend it?
49
50 John Covici wb2una