From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing virtual machine under gentoo
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:12:26
1 On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 9:40 AM Petric Frank <pfrank@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Freitag, 31. Dezember 2021, 15:31:43 CET schrieb Yixun Lan:
4 > > On 07:33 Fri 31 Dec , John Covici wrote:
5 > > > Hi. I am looking for some guidance on installing virtual machines
6 > > > under gentoo. I have a 5.10.82 kernel and I would like to use kvm if
7 > > > possible to do this. I have seen lots of instructions for installing
8 > > > vms using virtualbox but not much else. I have a gentoo system with
9 > > > enough memory to run a vm or two and would like to use it as the host.
10 > > >
11 > > > I have downloaded xen to take a look at it as well.
12 > > >
13 > > > I hope this is not too vague, so please bare with me.
14 > > >
15 > > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
16 > >
17 > > I'd suggest to try qemu kvm + libvirt
18 >
19 > For a graphical GUI frontend for this you can use app-emulation/virt-manager.
20
21 ++
22
23 This is just a front-end to libvirt and kvm, so you're building
24 entirely on solid technologies, and anything you set up with the GUI
25 can be edited or run or otherwise managed from the command line, and
26 vice-versa. It ends up resembling something like VirtualBox or the
27 old VMWare Workstation edition, but it is all FOSS and in-kernel so it
28 just is more reliable/etc.
29
30 That said, I only use VMs situationally and at this point just about
31 everything I'm doing is in containers if it can be linux-based. Way
32 lighter all-around, even if I'm running a full OS in the container. I
33 personally prefer to run my containers with nspawn and virtual
34 ethernet, so each container gets its own IP via DHCP.
35
36 Oh, and for kvm if you want to run your guests on your main LAN you'll
37 probably need to set up a bridge interface.
40 Rich