From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seamonkey and saving images taking so long
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 05:00:41
1 Billy Wayne McCann wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Well, I found out what was wrong with this thing. If you go to Tools
4 >> > Download Manager and look in the window, there is a list of
5 >> everything I have saved since I started using Seamonkey as my
6 >> browser. That was a long time. I did a ctrl A to select all the
7 >> downloads and then told it to remove them all from the list. This
8 >> thing ran for 15 or 20 minutes at full throttle until I finally gave
9 >> up and killed Seamonkey. I then went diggin in the .mozilla
10 >> directory and found the file where all this is kept. I made a copy
11 >> just in case then deleted the file completely. The file was HUGE.
12 >> After I deleted that file I went back to some of the sites I got to
13 >> and downloaded some images and then saved them. It was nice and fast
14 >> again.
15 >>
16 >> So, the morale of this story is to delete all that crap in the
17 >> download manager every once in a while before it gets to huge.
18 >>
19 >> Thanks Billy Wayne for helping me test this thing. It got me off to
20 >> a new start.
21 >>
22 >> Dale
23 >>
24 >> :-) :-) :-)
25 >> Hmmm, I wonder if this is a feature or a bug??
26 >
27 > Hi Dale,
28 >
29 > Glad I could be of some assistance. I had never tried Seamonkey
30 > before, so this has given me opportunity to try it out. It'd be great
31 > if Firefox plugins (or at least NoScript) worked within Seamonkey. I
32 > rather like the "full-featuredness" of this app. I'll have to research.
33 >
34 > In my opinion, it is difficult to imagine how what you've discovered
35 > could be a feature. Also, it seems strange that simply having a
36 > download history (even a large one) within Seamonkey's download
37 > manager causes such an issue. I believe the standard protocol in such
38 > situations is to install the seamonkey-bin to test whether or not the
39 > -bin exhibits the same behaviour. If it doesn't, then it is a bug
40 > that should be filed with Gentoo. If it does, then it is a bug that
41 > needs to be filed with Mozilla. If this is inaccurate, I request
42 > correction, me being a n00b and all. :)
43 >
44 > Nice to meet you Dale. Happy Gentoo'ing.
47 > Billy Wayne
48
49 I have had this happen before and I used to remove them regularly to
50 keep it from slowing me down. I guess after a recent divorce and some
51 health issues that I just plain forgot about having to delete the
52 download history. I did install the Firefox binary and it did the same
53 thing as a compiled Seamonkey. I did make sure to use the same
54 ~/.mozilla directory to make sure everything was the same. I knew then
55 that it had to be something on my machine that was causing this.
56 Another clue was that it was getting much worse over time even though
57 Seamonkey had not been changed. What was happening is that the file was
58 getting larger and larger and therefore getting slower.
59
60 I think it is a bug myself. It seems to me that there should be a limit
61 of some kind on this file. Maybe a time limit, size limit or
62 something. Me, I just hate filing bug reports. I have filed a few but
63 only after some serious guru
64 said I should. I did go search to see if one had been filed but I
65 didn't see one filed. Oh, I sort of liked Firefox but I like having one
66 program do my email and browsing. So, I have already -C firefox. :-(
67
68 Any thoughts from a serious guru about whether I should file this as a
69 bug with Seamonkey or not?
70
71 Thanks
72