From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Markos Chandras <markos.chandras@×××××.com>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2 + collision protect
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:24:20
1 On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Markos Chandras
2 <markos.chandras@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Saturday 15 November 2008 01:07:33 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Markos Chandras
5 >>
6 >> <markos.chandras@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > Hello,
8 >> >
9 >> > I ve upgraded to portage-2.2 . From that time i am having a problem.
10 > When
11 >> > portage finds a collision between two files during the merge time , it
12 >> > complains and doesnt merge the new package. The weird thing is that i
13 > do
14 >> > not have collision-protect under FEATURES on /etc/make.conf file
15 >> >
16 >> > Any idea how to deal with that?
17 >>
18 >> Check to see which other package owns the collided file. If none, it's
19 >> probably safe to delete it & emerge the new package (which will
20 >> replace that file anyway). That's what I do.
21 >>
22 >> Paul
23 > This usually happens when I am trying to install slotted packages like
24 > amarok-1.94
25 >
26 > I am using amarok-1.4.10 and I am trying to install amarok-1.94. They are on
27 > different slots but portage keeps complaining about collisions. Since I do not
28 > have collision-protect on FEATURES, portage MUST merge the package even if
29 > it warns me...
30
31 What about protect-owned, do you have that? It is like
32 collision-protect, but it blocks you from overwriting files KNOWN to
33 belong to other packages (where collisiion-protect will block any file
34 on disk, even if it has no owning-package)
35
36 There are also environment variables which explicitly protect/override
37 collision detection for directories, regardless of the features
38 setting.
39
40 Paul