From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting a big drive for stuff - /mnt or /media
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:24:09
1 Stroller wrote:
2
3 > The only thing that springs to mind is that /mnt was originally used by
4 > system administrators to temporarily mount removable media. I think the
5 > FHS comes into it. But right now this isn't terribly convincing,
6 > particularly as I currently expect to be using one BIG volume, so there
7 > should be no need for more than drive mounted in this way.
8
9 Mostly it's a matter of taste, as I see it. Acc. to FHS /mnt is for
10 temporarily mounted filesystems while /media is for removable media. But
11 since it's your system you can call it whatever you like. Of course if
12 you are using some kind of automounter you may need to follow what ever
13 restrictions it has...
14
15 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
16