From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mounting a big drive for stuff - /mnt or /media
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 00:13:02
1 Hi there,
2
3 I'm in the process of commissioning a box which has a large hard drive
4 on which videos, mp3s & stuff will be stored.
5
6 On all my other machines, such drives are mounted at /mnt/space (and a
7 second drive at /mnt/morespace)
8
9 I have a notion to move to a hierarchy under /media/ - something like /
10 media/space or /media/videos or /media/disk1, /media/disk2, /media/
11 disk3, ...
12
13 I can't remember WHY I came iup with this idea, however.
14
15 Googling, I can find more than one message to this list in which I
16 assert this intention and state refer to a discussion on this list
17 which led to it. However I can't find that previous discussion itself.
18 http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/168375-mediatomb-media-server-users-permissions-media-videox.html
19 http://www.nabble.com/Autofs-or-ivman--td14647701.html
20
21 The only thing that springs to mind is that /mnt was originally used
22 by system administrators to temporarily mount removable media. I think
23 the FHS comes into it. But right now this isn't terribly convincing,
24 particularly as I currently expect to be using one BIG volume, so
25 there should be no need for more than drive mounted in this way.
26
27 Can anyone persuade me or provide other reasons for using /media?
28
29 Thanks in advance,
30
31 Stroller.