From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads Up - glibc-2.27 breaks my system
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 14:09:05
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 03/02/18 07:54, Dale wrote:
3 >> While on this topic, I have a question about glibc.  I have it set in
4 >> make.conf to save the binary packages.  Generally I use it when I need
5 >> to go back shortly after a upgrade, usually Firefox or something.
6 >> However, this package is different since going back a version isn't a
7 >> good idea.  My question tho, what if one does go back a version using
8 >> those saved binary packages?  Has anyone ever did it and it work or did
9 >> it and it fail miserably?
10 >
11 > It is perfectly fine to downgrade glibc if you didn't emerge anything
12 > that compiled binaries.
13 >
14 > If you did, you can still downgrade, but then you need to rebuild the
15 > packages that you emerged since the glibc upgrade. qlop is your friend
16 > here; it lets you find out the dates on which you emerged packages.
17 >
18 > This whole thing is not actually special to glibc. Other libraries
19 > work in a similar manner. You can't just link other software against a
20 > new version of the library, then remove the library and replace it
21 > with an older one. It might result in breakage. But glibc is used by
22 > almost everything, it's not "just a library", it is *the* library, and
23 > so it has a special protection to prevent a downgrade. You can bypass
24 > that protection and downgrade anyway, but then you need to know what
25 > you're doing and how to restore your system correctly. If any
26 > sys-devel packages are affected, you might not be able to do it. If
27 > only end-user packages are affected which are not used during an
28 > emerge, then it's quite safe to downgrade.
33 That makes sense.  So, if worse comes to worse, downgrade, then emerge
34 -e world if unsure what all has been updated since.  If, using qlop or
35 friends, you can figure what was done since the upgrade, emerge those to
36 make sure the linking is correct.  At least that is a option that should
37 be doable.  That's better than thinking you can't downgrade for any
38 reason, period.
39
40 I wonder, is this sort of info on Gentoo's wiki?  If not, shouldn't it
41 be?  I've always read that downgrading is a bad idea and strongly
42 discouraged but if one runs unstable on a regular basis or just hits
43 that random corner case bug, one may run into this even if one doesn't
44 have the experience to know how to put the broken pieces back together
45 again.
46
47 Thanks for the info.  At least there is a option, even if it might get
48 interesting.  ;-)
49
50 Dale
51