From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads Up - glibc-2.27 breaks my system
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 08:24:11
1 On 03/02/18 07:54, Dale wrote:
2 > While on this topic, I have a question about glibc.  I have it set in
3 > make.conf to save the binary packages.  Generally I use it when I need
4 > to go back shortly after a upgrade, usually Firefox or something.
5 > However, this package is different since going back a version isn't a
6 > good idea.  My question tho, what if one does go back a version using
7 > those saved binary packages?  Has anyone ever did it and it work or did
8 > it and it fail miserably?
9
10 It is perfectly fine to downgrade glibc if you didn't emerge anything
11 that compiled binaries.
12
13 If you did, you can still downgrade, but then you need to rebuild the
14 packages that you emerged since the glibc upgrade. qlop is your friend
15 here; it lets you find out the dates on which you emerged packages.
16
17 This whole thing is not actually special to glibc. Other libraries work
18 in a similar manner. You can't just link other software against a new
19 version of the library, then remove the library and replace it with an
20 older one. It might result in breakage. But glibc is used by almost
21 everything, it's not "just a library", it is *the* library, and so it
22 has a special protection to prevent a downgrade. You can bypass that
23 protection and downgrade anyway, but then you need to know what you're
24 doing and how to restore your system correctly. If any sys-devel
25 packages are affected, you might not be able to do it. If only end-user
26 packages are affected which are not used during an emerge, then it's
27 quite safe to downgrade.