From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads Up - glibc-2.27 breaks my system
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 05:54:17
1 John Campbell wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2018 01:07 PM, Floyd Anderson wrote:
3 >> Hi Helmut,
4 >>
5 >> On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:34:23 +0100
6 >> Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
7 >>> With glibc-2.27 installed I cannot compile anything, since most
8 >>> packages try to include <gnu/stubs-32.h>
9 >>> which doesn't exit any more.
10 >>> And downgrading glibc using a binary package doesn't work.
11 >>>
12 >>> It looks like I have to restore my system from a recent backup,
13 >>> very annoying!
14 >> Restoring your backup is probably faster but I want to point out the
15 >> possibility of an intermediate build chroot [1] to get back a working
16 >> toolchain. This helped me in the past to solve troubles with glibc and
17 >> when I didn’t knew about buildpkg/buildsyspkg for FEATURES variable.
18 > It's been fixed now. glibc-2.27-r1 is in the tree and re-instates the
19 > x32 libs and headers.
20 >
21 > I just emerged the new lib and everything is find. I have
22 > FEATURES=preserve-libs set so I'm not sure how the missing x32 libs
23 > might effect your compile but I had no issues.
29 While on this topic, I have a question about glibc.  I have it set in
30 make.conf to save the binary packages.  Generally I use it when I need
31 to go back shortly after a upgrade, usually Firefox or something.
32 However, this package is different since going back a version isn't a
33 good idea.  My question tho, what if one does go back a version using
34 those saved binary packages?  Has anyone ever did it and it work or did
35 it and it fail miserably?
36
37 While at it, if a upgrade really breaks a system, what is the *correct*
38 thing to do?  Wait for a new fixed version, even if it breaks things in
39 the meantime?  Just curious.
40
41 Thanks to the OP for the heads up.  I run stable on that BUT it's still
42 a good idea to warn others, who may not run stable and not know the
43 problem, yet.
44
45 Dale
46