From: "Edward M." <edwardm.gentoo.java@××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] JDK 7 on server
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:57:54
1 Sorry for top post using my phone
2 Ice tea is Java se. Glass server uses
3 Java EE because EE has added API and
4 Runtime to build enterprise secure apps.
5 sorry the link did not help.
6
7 Sent from my Windows Phone
8 ________________________________
9 From: Nilesh Govindrajan<mailto:me@××××××××.com>
10 Sent: ‎2/‎17/‎2014 6:07 AM
11 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o<mailto:gentoo-user@l.g.o>
12 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] JDK 7 on server
13
14 On Monday 17 February 2014 04:12 AM, Edward M wrote:
15 > On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:14:24 +0530
16 > Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> wrote:
17 >
18 >> rvices to customers, so compatibility is
19 >> definitely a concern. I'm not exactly sure what the differences are
20 >> between Oracle JDK & OpenJDK; the differences I found so far on Google
21 >> are old and make sense only for Java 6.
22 >
23 > Hello,
24 >
25 > To my understanding, Oracle JDK binary is created from the source code
26 > released from the OpenJDK project with some Oracle's own propriety
27 > code. The other difference is Oracle's JDK binary is released under
28 > Oracle Technology Network Developer License Terms for JAVA EE SDK,JDK
29 > where as OpenJDK code is under GPL + linking exceptions.
30 >
31 > More info at:
32 >
33 > https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/java_7_questions_answers
34 >
35 > Best regards
36 > ED
39 So it would be correct to say that for Java EE applications, icedtea
40 would be enough? As per the link you gave me, it says some graphical
41 components & fonts are extra, none of which are used in case of web
42 applications.