From: "wkuz@××.pl" <wkuz@××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python mess - random winge!
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 06:24:36
1 Dnia 2022-07-05, o godz. 13:04:07
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> napisał(a):
3
4 > I synced portage a couple of days now and now my systems are
5 > rebuilding python modules for 3.10 without any input from me (prior
6 > to this 3.10 was on the system but wasn't picked up by applications.)
7 > This is breaking non portage apps like homeassistant which are still
8 > not fully 3.10 safe - ok that's sort of expected and in this case
9 > will be fixed, but I cant find anything definitive on the task of "I
10 > want to control which python is used" and when to update.
11 >
12 > I eventually found that changing the order in python-exec.conf helped
13 > on the homeassistant system.  There is a LOT of out of date
14 > documentation out there, particularly with eselect being used but is
15 > actually not used with python anymore (why? - from a user point of
16 > view having consistent access to configuration is a no brainer!) - so
17 > how can one get python to behave reliably and override its automatic
18 > get things wrong installation system?  Is manually editing
19 > python-exec.conf the way (which seems to get overwritten - shouldn't
20 > that be a protected config file then?)
21 >
22 > BillK
28 Hello!
29
30 In "eselect news" info about python update there is a paragraph about
31 blocking the upgrade. It just means adding:
32
33 */* PYTHON_TARGETS: -* python3_9
34 */* PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET: -* python3_9
35
36 to /etc/portage/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use or
37 /etc/portage/package.use/zz-somename - whichever suites you best.
38
39 You can also change these settings just for some packages, by adding:
40
41 cat/pkg PYTHON_TARGETS: -* python3_9 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET: -* python3_9
42
43 to one of aforementioned files.
44
45 Hope that helps!