From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] python mess - random winge!
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 05:06:41
1 I synced portage a couple of days now and now my systems are rebuilding
2 python modules for 3.10 without any input from me (prior to this 3.10
3 was on the system but wasn't picked up by applications.)  This is
4 breaking non portage apps like homeassistant which are still not fully
5 3.10 safe - ok that's sort of expected and in this case will be fixed,
6 but I cant find anything definitive on the task of "I want to control
7 which python is used" and when to update.
8
9 I eventually found that changing the order in python-exec.conf helped on
10 the homeassistant system.  There is a LOT of out of date documentation
11 out there, particularly with eselect being used but is actually not used
12 with python anymore (why? - from a user point of view having consistent
13 access to configuration is a no brainer!) - so how can one get python to
14 behave reliably and override its automatic get things wrong installation
15 system?  Is manually editing python-exec.conf the way (which seems to
16 get overwritten - shouldn't that be a protected config file then?)
17
18 BillK