From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:11:10
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 24 May 2009 19:26:43 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Also, is this the file that contains the system set?
5 >>
6 >> /usr/portage/profiles/base/packages
7 >>
8 >> If so, python is commented out as is a few others. Is there a way to
9 >> add files to something in /etc that emerge would consider in addition to
10 >> this file? In other words, if a user is using portage, is there a place
11 >> that they could set this in /etc so that it overrides the fact it is
12 >> missing in the system set? Just add python and other missing packages
13 >> to the file and we can carry on. I assume adding it to world would not
14 >> do any good with buildsyspkg enabled?
17 > profiles are cascading and support multiple inheritance (parent files can
18 > contain several entries). So, you have to run
19 >
20 > find /usr/portage/profiles -name packages
21 >
22 > to find them all, and apply brain power to find the few that actually apply to
23 > you
28 Something like this?
29
30 root@smoker / # ls -al /etc/make.profile
31 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Dec 16 22:09 /etc/make.profile ->
32 /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop/
33 root@smoker / #
34
35 I would assume it uses what the make.profile is linked to. Correct?
36 Thing is, is there some file supported in /etc/ that is user editable?
37 If not, then it doesn't matter. If a user edits the file in
38 /usr/portage, it will default back when re-syncing.
39
40 Dale
41