From: "Fatih Tümen" <fthtmn+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 03:59:56
1 On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:15 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10/09/2010 12:36 PM, Fatih Tümen wrote:
3 >
4 >>> 2. I accidentally ran grub-install /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda
5 >
6 > If you still actually have an 'hda' then you should start using the new
7 > disk drivers in the kernel "CONFIG_ATA" section rather than the older
8 > and deprecated "CONFIG_IDE" section.
9 >
10 I was happy with the distinction between local and external disk. But
11 thanks for the advice.
12
13 > That will make all of your /dev/hd* devices become /dev/sd* instead.  This
14 > may have nothing to do with your current problem, but it's time to make the
15 > change in any case.  (You will need to make appropriate changes in fstab.)
16 >
17 >> grub>  setup  --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/grub (hd1)
18 >> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
19 >
20 > What choices does grub show you when you type "root (hd" and then hit
21 > TAB?  That should list all hard disks that your BIOS knows about.  The
22 > list will change, of course, depending on whether your USB disk is plugged
23 > in (and working) or not.  (grub always refers to 'hd' and never 'sd', which
24 > I'm sure you already know :)
25 >
26 Grub currently know only about hd0, hd1 was what grub called the usb disk.
27
28 > I'm not using the dreaded 'hardware' word yet, though I'm suspicious.
29 >
30 If you heard the noise coming from the drive when plugged in you be
31 more than suspicious I think.
32
33 > When you tested the drive on the other machine, did you use a different
34 > USB cable?
35 >
36 No but I will do, as soon as I find the other cable.But as I just
37 noted, drive makes some noise when plugged in. The noise is similar
38 but less worrying that the one it make first time I ran eix.
39
40 > Will fdisk read and recognize the partition table on the USB disk? If fdisk
41 > results in disk read errors then I'd begin to think more about 'hardware' :(
42 >
43 No "Unable to read /dev/sda" is what fdisk says. I never had a disk
44 (hardware) failure before. Is there no way to extract data from it?
47 Fatih