From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 21:17:10
1 On 10/09/2010 12:36 PM, Fatih Tümen wrote:
2
3 >> 2. I accidentally ran grub-install /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda
4
5 If you still actually have an 'hda' then you should start using the new
6 disk drivers in the kernel "CONFIG_ATA" section rather than the older
7 and deprecated "CONFIG_IDE" section.
8
9 That will make all of your /dev/hd* devices become /dev/sd* instead. This
10 may have nothing to do with your current problem, but it's time to make the
11 change in any case. (You will need to make appropriate changes in fstab.)
12
13 > grub> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --prefix=/grub (hd1)
14 > Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
15
16 What choices does grub show you when you type "root (hd" and then hit
17 TAB? That should list all hard disks that your BIOS knows about. The
18 list will change, of course, depending on whether your USB disk is plugged
19 in (and working) or not. (grub always refers to 'hd' and never 'sd', which
20 I'm sure you already know :)
21
22 I'm not using the dreaded 'hardware' word yet, though I'm suspicious.
23
24 When you tested the drive on the other machine, did you use a different
25 USB cable?
26
27 Will fdisk read and recognize the partition table on the USB disk? If fdisk
28 results in disk read errors then I'd begin to think more about 'hardware' :(