From: Ramon Fischer <Ramon_Fischer@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 18:40:45
1 This is just a guess. Maybe you have two devices with the same UUID?
2
3 If so, you can change it with:
4
5 $ cryptsetup --uuid="<some_uuid>" luksUUID "/dev/sdx1"
6
7 -Ramon
8
9 On 05/07/2021 05:19, Dale wrote:
10 > Dale wrote:
11 >> Dale wrote:
12 >>> After staring at it a while, it hit me that lsblk is showing it as still
13 >>> mounted, even tho I umounted already without error.  So, I just ran the
14 >>> umount command again.  After that, it closed just fine.  So, it seems to
15 >>> be mounted twice, not once.  I mount using this command 'mount /mnt/8tb'
16 >>> which uses fstab to mount the correct UUID device to that mount point.
17 >>> Surely it only mounts once.  Always has in the past.  So why is it being
18 >>> mounted twice now?  None of my scripts used for backups includes any
19 >>> mounting commands.  There's also only one entry in fstab as well.
20 >>>
21 >>> Anyone have any idea while it gets mounted twice?  Does the cryptsetup
22 >>> open command mount it in some way and then I mount it manually as well??
23 >>> When I opened it just now, it didn't show anything as mounted.  So it
24 >>> doesn't appear to be the open command.  What else could it be??
25 >>>
26 >>> Ideas?
27 >>>
28 >>> Dale
29 >>>
30 >>> :-)  :-)
31 >>>
32 >> The same drive just did it again.  I had to reboot to get it to reset.
33 >> This is Linux not windoze.  Rebooting to reset something like that is
34 >> plain ridiculous.  I also checked, this time it was mounted only once.
35 >> When I tried to umount it again, it said it wasn't mounted.  The thing
36 >> that really gets me, nothing can tell me what it is that is using the
37 >> device.  It says it is in use but no clue what it is using it.
38 >>
39 >> To test a theory, I changed fstab to mount by label instead of UUID.
40 >> Maybe that will change something.  I dunno.  I do know, if this doesn't
41 >> improve soon, I'm going to erase the drive and either find another
42 >> encryption tool or just not encrypt it at all.  I'm not rebooting every
43 >> time this thing wants to act ugly.  I'm used to rebooting like every 6
44 >> months or so.  Usually when the power fails.
45 >>
46 >> If anyone has any ideas, please post.  In the meantime, I'm going to try
47 >> this mounting by label idea.
48 >>
49 >> Dale
50 >>
51 >> :-)  :-)
54 > Here's a update.  I'm doing my weekly updates which means I close web
55 > browsers, to conserve memory mostly.  While I'm doing updates, I update
56 > my backups.  As usual, the 6TB drive did fine.  I ran the usual
57 > commands, got the proper response and everything worked fine.  The 8TB
58 > drive did the same.  It ran every command from decrypting it to
59 > unmounting and closing without a single problem.  I even opened it,
60 > mounted it, unmounted it and closed it again.  Still, no problems at all.
61 >
62 > The only thing I changed, I mounted by label instead of UUID.  Can
63 > someone explain to me why that should matter?  It's the same thing being
64 > mounted so one would think it wouldn't matter at all.  Heck, most even
65 > say mounting by UUID is the best way.  Dang near impossible to have two
66 > of anything with the same UUID.  So why does it work fine with labels
67 > but not UUID?
68 >
69 > I'm looking forward to someone having a clue on this.  I'm very
70 > confused, happy it works but confused for sure. This makes no sense.
71 >
72 > Dale
73 >
78 GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature