From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 03:20:12
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> After staring at it a while, it hit me that lsblk is showing it as still
5 >> mounted, even tho I umounted already without error.  So, I just ran the
6 >> umount command again.  After that, it closed just fine.  So, it seems to
7 >> be mounted twice, not once.  I mount using this command 'mount /mnt/8tb'
8 >> which uses fstab to mount the correct UUID device to that mount point.
9 >> Surely it only mounts once.  Always has in the past.  So why is it being
10 >> mounted twice now?  None of my scripts used for backups includes any
11 >> mounting commands.  There's also only one entry in fstab as well.
12 >>
13 >> Anyone have any idea while it gets mounted twice?  Does the cryptsetup
14 >> open command mount it in some way and then I mount it manually as well??
15 >> When I opened it just now, it didn't show anything as mounted.  So it
16 >> doesn't appear to be the open command.  What else could it be??
17 >>
18 >> Ideas?
19 >>
20 >> Dale
21 >>
22 >> :-)  :-)
25 > The same drive just did it again.  I had to reboot to get it to reset.
26 > This is Linux not windoze.  Rebooting to reset something like that is
27 > plain ridiculous.  I also checked, this time it was mounted only once.
28 > When I tried to umount it again, it said it wasn't mounted.  The thing
29 > that really gets me, nothing can tell me what it is that is using the
30 > device.  It says it is in use but no clue what it is using it.
31 >
32 > To test a theory, I changed fstab to mount by label instead of UUID.
33 > Maybe that will change something.  I dunno.  I do know, if this doesn't
34 > improve soon, I'm going to erase the drive and either find another
35 > encryption tool or just not encrypt it at all.  I'm not rebooting every
36 > time this thing wants to act ugly.  I'm used to rebooting like every 6
37 > months or so.  Usually when the power fails.
38 >
39 > If anyone has any ideas, please post.  In the meantime, I'm going to try
40 > this mounting by label idea.
41 >
42 > Dale
43 >
44 > :-)  :-)
48 Here's a update.  I'm doing my weekly updates which means I close web
49 browsers, to conserve memory mostly.  While I'm doing updates, I update
50 my backups.  As usual, the 6TB drive did fine.  I ran the usual
51 commands, got the proper response and everything worked fine.  The 8TB
52 drive did the same.  It ran every command from decrypting it to
53 unmounting and closing without a single problem.  I even opened it,
54 mounted it, unmounted it and closed it again.  Still, no problems at all.
55
56 The only thing I changed, I mounted by label instead of UUID.  Can
57 someone explain to me why that should matter?  It's the same thing being
58 mounted so one would think it wouldn't matter at all.  Heck, most even
59 say mounting by UUID is the best way.  Dang near impossible to have two
60 of anything with the same UUID.  So why does it work fine with labels
61 but not UUID?
62
63 I'm looking forward to someone having a clue on this.  I'm very
64 confused, happy it works but confused for sure. This makes no sense.
65
66 Dale
67