From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 06:48:01
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 23:02, lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?':
3 > I've asked on multiple occassions for a comparison to a Debian paradigm.
4 > My first distro was Debian. So a comparison to Debian would do me a
5 > world of good.
6
7 ARCH ~= STABLE
8
9 but more volatile -- there's no real release version, packages are
10 maintained separately unless they are packaged together upstream or depend
11 on one another so you'll still get regular updates, but the packages have
12 been though some amount of testing by the devs and those running:
13
14 ~ARCH ~= TESTING
15
16 though there's less testing, packages don't have to survive being masked
17 for any period of time so you will occasionally get an package that would
18 only be suited for "Sid". It's still exceedingly rare for these packages
19 to screw your system, but it is possible especially if you don't read the
20 e(info|notice|warn)s that are output during the install or become lax in
21 your config file updating. Anything truly experimental will be masked
22 while the devs (and brave users) test internally.
23
24 If you do run ~arch and can spend some time reporting you successes and
25 failures, consider becoming an arch tester, assuming your arch needs more.
26
27 package.mask'd, profile masked, or missing keyword ~= SID (or worse)
28
29 These packages are either experimental with changes that are likely to
30 break the system, or have been known to break someones system, possibly
31 including data loss. Some development teams *cough*KDE*cough* are quite
32 flexible with the "experimental" label -- I had kde 3.5 installed with few
33 to no problems for (what seemed like) months before they were unmasked.
34
35 Of course, ebuilds in the forums and bugzilla (and anywhere else other than
36 the standard portage tree) are like foreign repositories. Gentoo devs
37 (and most of the people on the mailing lists) can't and won't provide
38 support for those packages or problems that may/might be caused by them.
41 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
42 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
43 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
44 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh