From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 04:23:38
1 On Tuesday 02 May 2006 09:34 am, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 5/1/06, Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > If you wish to have latest packages, change ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", it
4 > > might make your system a bit unstable but going through my experience it
5 > > has not broken a thing in my system.
6 >
7 > And I recommend that you do *not* set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 unless you
8 > are prepared for the consequences.
9
10 WHAT CONSEQUENCES!?
11
12 I've asked on multiple occassions for a comparison to a Debian paradigm. My
13 first distro was Debian. So a comparison to Debian would do me a world of
14 good.
15
16 > It is very much a testing environment, where either the ebuild or the
17 > package itself might not be completely stable, or worse, incompatible
18 > with previous configuration files or other packages on your system.
19 > Baselayout and udev have been particularly 'dangerous' on ~x86
20 > recently.
21 >
22 > Additionally, ~x86 updates more frequently than x86, so you will have
23 > much more downloading and compiling to do at each update.
24
25 Yeah, I think I'll avoid that until I have a distcc network running!
26 Compiling on my poor laptop takes *forever!*
27
28 > Yes ~x86 does work most of the time, and the Gentoo devs are extremely
29 > good at fixing problems quickly. But it can be expected to break
30 > occasionally, and you need to know what do when it does.
31
32 Mean time to failure?
33
34 > If you want ~x86 for specific packages, use /etc/portage/package.keywords.
35
36 Okay.