From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:40:36
1 On 5/1/06, Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > If you wish to have latest packages, change ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", it
3 > might make your system a bit unstable but going through my experience it
4 > has not broken a thing in my system.
5
6 And I recommend that you do *not* set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 unless you
7 are prepared for the consequences.
8
9 It is very much a testing environment, where either the ebuild or the
10 package itself might not be completely stable, or worse, incompatible
11 with previous configuration files or other packages on your system.
12 Baselayout and udev have been particularly 'dangerous' on ~x86
13 recently.
14
15 Additionally, ~x86 updates more frequently than x86, so you will have
16 much more downloading and compiling to do at each update.
17
18 Yes ~x86 does work most of the time, and the Gentoo devs are extremely
19 good at fixing problems quickly. But it can be expected to break
20 occasionally, and you need to know what do when it does.
21
22 If you want ~x86 for specific packages, use /etc/portage/package.keywords.
23
24 -Richard
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list