From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 06:28:06
1 lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
2 > (snip)
3 >
4 > So I went through all those different USE flags, and added ones I knew I could
5 > add without anything blowing up. This is what I get:
6 >
7 > # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
8 > built this stage
9 > # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
10 > #CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
11 > CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
12
13 I'd suggest CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
14
15 > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
16 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
17
18 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
19
20 > MAKEOPTS=""
21
22 MAKEOPTS="-j2"
23
24 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
25
26 If you wish to have latest packages, change ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86", it
27 might make your system a bit unstable but going through my experience it
28 has not broken a thing in my system.
29
30 Also if you wish add these lines to /etc/make.conf
31
32 LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,-z,now,--sort-common"
33
34 > USE=" X a52 aac alsa apache2 acpi arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2
35 > cdr cli crypt ctype cups dba eds directfb doc dri dvd dvdread elibc_glibc
36 > emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam fastbuild foomaticdb
37 > force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gcj gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm gstreamer
38 > gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal hardened idn imlib ipv6 jpeg java javascript kde
39 > kdexdeltas kernel_linux lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit mikmod mhash mng
40 > motif mozilla mime mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl oss pam pcre
41 > pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline samba sdl session
42 > simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl ssl sse sse2 svg tcltk tcpd tiff
43 > tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb udev userland_GNU vorbis
44 > x86 xml xml2 xmms xsl xv zlib"
45
46 Do you really need all these USE flags and features? I think not.. Add
47 USE flags that really are useful not add them just because they might
48 become useful sometime.. The more features you have in your packages,
49 the slower and more memory hungry they are.. Take a look at my USE
50 flags..
51
52 USE="-X -arts -apache2 -berkdb -cups -dri -eds -esd -gdbm -gnome
53 -gstreamer -gtk -gpm -xmms 3dnow acl bash-completion bzip2 fbcon hal lzo
54 mbox mmx nsplugin nvidia offensive sse svga tiff urandom"
55
56 -X because I don't every application to be built with X support, -arts
57 because of the same reason.. The applications that i think will need X
58 support I add a line like this to /etc/portage/package.use
59
60 media-libs/imlib2 X
61
62 Also if i need to remove some support from packages, i add line like
63 this to /etc/portage/package.use
64
65 www-client/links -jpeg -png -sdl -svga -tiff
66
67 I also don't suggest hardened USE flag.. You most certainly don't need
68 them.. Trust me..
69
70 Add these lines to /etc/make.conf to further fine tune tour system..
71
72 VIDEO_CARDS="<your video card" #like nvidia, ati
73 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" #add anything extra you've
74
75 Remember, always add the minimum USE flags you need to /etc/make.conf,
76 you should always tune your system to specific packages by adding USE
77 flags to be used for the specific package to /etc/portage/package.use
78
79 > (snip)
80
81 Farhan Ahmed
82 --
83 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
84 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
85 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
86 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)