From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 04:14:18
1 On Monday 01 May 2006 04:32 pm, Farhan Ahmed wrote:
2 > lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
3 > > (snip)
4 > >
5 > > > These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
6 > > >
7 > > > Calculating dependencies ...done!
8 > > > [ebuild U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.8 [1.0.7-r4] -debug
9 > > > +gnome
10 > >
11 > > +ipv6 +java* -mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg +truetype
12 > > -xinerama -xprint 32,135 kB
13 > >
14 > > I see here that I've got it compiled with the debug pointers (which I'm
15 > > told slow things down) and it has no KDE/Qt support, either. This...
16 > > could be a problem.
17 >
18 > -debug means you don't have debug pointers.. A use flag can be considered
19 > as a configure option.. -debug means --disable-debug, +gnome means
20 > --enable-gnome... What -debug does is it disables debugging, i.e., it
21 > strips the binary of debugging symbols.. +flags enables support for the
22 > feature.. To have a look at all the USE flag and what they do take a
23 > look at /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and
24 > /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
25
26 Okay, that makes a lot of sense. That's something I didn't know.
27
28 So I went through all those different USE flags, and added ones I knew I could
29 add without anything blowing up. This is what I get:
30
31 # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
32 built this stage
33 # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
34 #CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
35 CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
36 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
37 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
38 MAKEOPTS=""
39 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
40 USE=" X a52 aac alsa apache2 acpi arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2
41 cdr cli crypt ctype cups dba eds directfb doc dri dvd dvdread elibc_glibc
42 emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam fastbuild foomaticdb
43 force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gcj gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm gstreamer
44 gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal hardened idn imlib ipv6 jpeg java javascript kde
45 kdexdeltas kernel_linux lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit mikmod mhash mng
46 motif mozilla mime mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl oss pam pcre
47 pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline samba sdl session
48 simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl ssl sse sse2 svg tcltk tcpd tiff
49 tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb udev userland_GNU vorbis
50 x86 xml xml2 xmms xsl xv zlib"
51 FEATURES=""
52
53 If anyone has any suggestions to further fine-tune this for a Pentium-M 1.0
54 GHz Ultra-Low Voltage chip, please tell me.
55
56 > > First:
57 > >
58 > > I'd like to know where I can change the USE flags globally, such that all
59 > > new activity will have no debug support, which I don't need. I'd also
60 > > like to add KDE/Qt functionality, if that's possible on the global level
61 > > as well. (snip)
62 >
63 > Well add the following line to /etc/make.conf
64 > USE="kde qt"
65 >
66 > I do believe that kde, qt and -debug are in make.defaults.. Atleast in
67 > x86 profiles they are, so i don't think you need to add the USE="kde qt"
68 > line to /etc/make.conf as they are enabled by default
69
70 I looked and they were already there. However, MMX, SSE and SSE2 were not
71 enabled, so I enabled those.
72
73 > > How can I specifically re-build a package with changed USE flags? (snip)
74 >
75 > emerge --newuse --update --deep world
76
77 I'll try that just a little later, when I can leave my laptop without needing
78 to use it for anything, so that it can happily chew away at everything
79 without my needing to lag through other things.
80
81 > Hope this helps,
82
83 It did! Thanks a bunch. I'm going to have fun tweaking my system for maximum
84 performance (one of my favorite passtimes while coding, I have to admit) with
85 these new options open to me!
86
87 > Farhan Ahmed
88 >
89 > PS: For more info about portage and USE flags, check the Gentoo
90 > documentation,
91 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2
92 > read all the sections, they contain valuable info..
93
94 I'll put them on my "to-read" list. Right now I've got to go hunting through
95 MSDN for some junk on Visual C/C++/C#, for work. I don't normally go to MSDN
96 of my own accord, other than to check up on them and make sure they're still
97 there making millions of people angry.