From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 23:42:06
1 lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
2 > (snip)
3 >
4 > > These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
5 >
6 > > Calculating dependencies ...done!
7 > > [ebuild U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.8 [1.0.7-r4] -debug +gnome
8 > +ipv6 +java* -mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg +truetype -xinerama
9 > -xprint 32,135 kB
10 >
11 > I see here that I've got it compiled with the debug pointers (which I'm told
12 > slow things down) and it has no KDE/Qt support, either. This... could be a
13 > problem.
14
15 -debug means you don't have debug pointers.. A use flag can be considered
16 as a configure option.. -debug means --disable-debug, +gnome means
17 --enable-gnome... What -debug does is it disables debugging, i.e., it
18 strips the binary of debugging symbols.. +flags enables support for the
19 feature.. To have a look at all the USE flag and what they do take a
20 look at /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and
21 /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc
22
23 > First:
24 >
25 > I'd like to know where I can change the USE flags globally, such that all new
26 > activity will have no debug support, which I don't need. I'd also like to
27 > add KDE/Qt functionality, if that's possible on the global level as well.
28 > (snip)
29
30 Well add the following line to /etc/make.conf
31 USE="kde qt"
32
33 I do believe that kde, qt and -debug are in make.defaults.. Atleast in
34 x86 profiles they are, so i don't think you need to add the USE="kde qt"
35 line to /etc/make.conf as they are enabled by default
36
37 > How can I specifically re-build a package with changed USE flags? (snip)
38
39 emerge --newuse --update --deep world
40
41 Hope this helps,
42 Farhan Ahmed
43
44 PS: For more info about portage and USE flags, check the Gentoo
45 documentation,
46 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2
47 read all the sections, they contain valuable info..
48 --
49 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
50 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
51 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
52 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)