From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 23:17:33
1 On Sunday 30 April 2006 07:22 am, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2 > Oh, yeah. I couldn't understand why people raved about the speed of Gentoo
3 > till I added USE="-DG_DISABLE_DEBUG"
4
5 So, this is going to be a very elementary question, but it's honestly because
6 I don't know.
7
8 I have major problems with Firefox (and even Eclipse) acting very sluggishly.
9 It's understandably annoying, but after using Windows for ten years, I've
10 learned to just swallow a lot of garbage and forget about it. However, now
11 that there's (possibly) a way to fix all this...
12
13 I don't know about USE flags. I think I get that they're special compile-time
14 preprocessor macros to enable/disable certain things, but I don't know how to
15 use them, as in change them.
16
17 If my apps all are compiled with debug extensions... that would explain why
18 Gentoo is working (speed-wise) like Kubuntu and other Debian-based distros
19 did.
20
21 Well, I tried this:
22
23 > localhost ~ # emerge -vpt mozilla-firefox
24 > --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
25 app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19
26 > --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10
27 > --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12
28 > --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
29 =dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10 ~x86
30 > --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
31 =dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12 ~x86
32 > --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
33 =app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19 ~x86
34
35 This part I'm worried about, but am not trying to fix right now. Any
36 suggestions, though OT, would be nice.
37
38 > These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
39
40 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
41 > [ebuild U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.8 [1.0.7-r4] -debug +gnome
42 +ipv6 +java* -mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg +truetype -xinerama
43 -xprint 32,135 kB
44
45 I see here that I've got it compiled with the debug pointers (which I'm told
46 slow things down) and it has no KDE/Qt support, either. This... could be a
47 problem.
48
49 First:
50
51 I'd like to know where I can change the USE flags globally, such that all new
52 activity will have no debug support, which I don't need. I'd also like to
53 add KDE/Qt functionality, if that's possible on the global level as well. I
54 know this is probably something I should have caught when I installed, but
55 that was a while ago, and I didn't know what a USE flag was, so I left it at
56 the default settings, not wanting to incur the Wrath of the Malconfigured OS.
57
58 Second:
59
60 How can I specifically re-build a package with changed USE flags? In other
61 words, I'd like to rebuild a few things I use often and am having speed
62 issues with, but not the whole system (just yet - I'll want a distcc network
63 up before I attempt the whole system all at once, esp. on this little IBM
64 X40...)
65
66 Thanks for your time! Hope I'm not too annoying! And if there's any part of
67 my Netiquette that isn't correct, tell me. I've only been an active mailing
68 list user for about a year and a half now, so I'm still learning!