From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 05:50:22
1 lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 April 2006 07:22 am, Jeff Rollin wrote:
3 >> Oh, yeah. I couldn't understand why people raved about the speed of Gentoo
4 >> till I added USE="-DG_DISABLE_DEBUG"
5 >
6 > So, this is going to be a very elementary question, but it's honestly because
7 > I don't know.
8 >
9 > I have major problems with Firefox (and even Eclipse) acting very sluggishly.
10 > It's understandably annoying, but after using Windows for ten years, I've
11 > learned to just swallow a lot of garbage and forget about it. However, now
12 > that there's (possibly) a way to fix all this...
13 >
14 > I don't know about USE flags. I think I get that they're special compile-time
15 > preprocessor macros to enable/disable certain things,
16
17 No, they are not. They enable/disable things, but they are not
18 preprocessor macros. A USE flage might set or remove certain
19 preprocessor macros, but that's not necessarily the main purpose
20 of USE flags.
21
22 > but I don't know how to
23 > use them, as in change them.
24
25 Read the manual.
26
27 >> localhost ~ # emerge -vpt mozilla-firefox
28 >> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
29 > app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19
30 >> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10
31 >> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12
32 >> --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
33 > =dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10 ~x86
34 >> --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
35 > =dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12 ~x86
36 >> --- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
37 > =app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19 ~x86
38 >
39 > This part I'm worried about, but am not trying to fix right now. Any
40 > suggestions, though OT, would be nice.
41
42 Suggestion: Fix your package.keywords and package.mask files. Seems
43 you've got those files mixed up. Post the line with "app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19"
44 from package.keywords and package.mask.
45
46 >> These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
47 >
48 >> Calculating dependencies ...done!
49 >> [ebuild U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.8 [1.0.7-r4] -debug +gnome
50 > +ipv6 +java* -mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg +truetype -xinerama
51 > -xprint 32,135 kB
52 >
53 > I see here that I've got it compiled with the debug pointers
54
55 How do you see that? A "-" normally means, that something is substracted.
56 So, I'd be interested to understand how you see that.
57
58 > (which I'm told
59 > slow things down) and it has no KDE/Qt support, either. This... could be a
60 > problem.
61 >
62 > First:
63 >
64 > I'd like to know where I can change the USE flags globally,
65
66 It's in the manual. The file /etc/make.conf is your friend here.
67
68 > such that all new
69 > activity will have no debug support, which I don't need.
70
71 Why do you think, that it has debug support?
72
73 > Second:
74 >
75 > How can I specifically re-build a package with changed USE flags?
76
77 You know, reading the manual WOULD help. Really. You might be
78 interested in /etc/portage/package.use
79
80 Your questions are answered in the "portage" man page.
81
82 > Thanks for your time! Hope I'm not too annoying! And if there's any part of
83 > my Netiquette that isn't correct, tell me.
84
85 Your real name is hilarious. "Lord Sauron The Great" ... Come
86 on, how old are you? 10?
87
88 Alexander Skwar
89 --
90 To converse at the distance of the Indes by means of sympathetic contrivances
91 may be as natural to future times as to us is a literary correspondence.
92 -- Joseph Glanvill, 1661
93 --
94 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list