From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 06:57:55
1 On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:18, Farhan Ahmed wrote:
4 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
7 no, just no. This breaks enough stuff. Do not tell others to use it. If you
8 want to use it. Fine. But do not tell anybody else to do it.
11 > > MAKEOPTS=""
12 >
13 > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
14
15 -j1 is a good one for singlecore/single cpu computer, where the compiling is
16 running in the background.
19 > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
22 > Also if you wish add these lines to /etc/make.conf
23 >
24 > LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,-z,now,--sort-common"
25
26 are you totally sure, that this do not break something? do this flags bring
27 anything, that can not be archived with prelink?
28
29 Again, you might want to use them, but you should not tell somebody else to
30 use them.-
33 > > USE=" X a52 aac alsa apache2 acpi arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts
34 > > bzip2 cdr cli crypt ctype cups dba eds directfb doc dri dvd dvdread
35 > > elibc_glibc emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam fastbuild
36 > > foomaticdb
37 > > force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gcj gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm
38 > > gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal hardened idn imlib ipv6 jpeg java
39 > > javascript kde kdexdeltas kernel_linux lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit
40 > > mikmod mhash mng motif mozilla mime mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg
41 > > opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline
42 > > samba sdl session simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl ssl sse sse2 svg
43 > > tcltk tcpd tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb udev
44 > > userland_GNU vorbis x86 xml xml2 xmms xsl xv zlib"
45 >
46 > Do you really need all these USE flags and features? I think not.. Add
47 > USE flags that really are useful not add them just because they might
48 > become useful sometime.. The more features you have in your packages,
49 > the slower and more memory hungry they are.. Take a look at my USE
50 > flags..
51
52 you think - but you don't know what he wants and needs.
53
54 btw, I would emerge ufed and work down the list....
57 > USE="-X -arts -apache2 -berkdb -cups -dri -eds -esd -gdbm -gnome
58 > -gstreamer -gtk -gpm -xmms 3dnow acl bash-completion bzip2 fbcon hal lzo
59 > mbox mmx nsplugin nvidia offensive sse svga tiff urandom"
60 >
61 > -X because I don't every application to be built with X support, -arts
62 > because of the same reason.. The applications that i think will need X
63 > support I add a line like this to /etc/portage/package.use
64
65 so you want to break douzends of packages for him? Why? -dri? Maybe he needs
66 it? fbcon? Why? who needs it? You are telling him to deactivate usefull stuff
67 and activate useless? Great!
70 > VIDEO_CARDS="<your video card" #like nvidia, ati
71 that is not needed anymore. Look into the use descriptions. Or even better,
72 get familiar with ufed.
75 > Remember, always add the minimum USE flags you need to /etc/make.conf,
76 > you should always tune your system to specific packages by adding USE
77 > flags to be used for the specific package to /etc/portage/package.use
78
79 oh, yeah, increase the work and risk subtle breakage here and there ....
80 --
81 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list