From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 10:50:33
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:18, Farhan Ahmed wrote:
5 > > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
8 > no, just no. This breaks enough stuff. Do not tell others to use it. If you
9 > want to use it. Fine. But do not tell anybody else to do it.
10
11 According to http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS_matrix
12 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden is recommended especially for KDE users..
13 Atleast while KDE it does not effect and is indeed recommended..
17 > > > MAKEOPTS=""
18 > >
19 > > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
20 >
21 > -j1 is a good one for singlecore/single cpu computer, where the compiling is
22 > running in the background.
23
24 No for singlecore/single cpu computer, -j2 is recommended.. Read
25 MAKEOPTS section in:
26
27 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5#doc_chap5
31 > > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
34 > > Also if you wish add these lines to /etc/make.conf
35 > >
36 > > LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,-z,now,--sort-common"
37 >
38 > are you totally sure, that this do not break something? do this flags bring
39 > anything, that can not be archived with prelink?
40 >
41 > Again, you might want to use them, but you should not tell somebody else to
42 > use them.-
43
44 Honestly I think I was wrong in recommending this.. But during the
45 emerge process of some packages there's a suggestion to use at least a
46 part of the LDFLAGS quoted above.. It's like a security warning.. I
47 decided to use these flags after reading a lot about them in Gentoo
48 forms
52 > > > USE=" X a52 aac alsa apache2 acpi arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts
53 > > > bzip2 cdr cli crypt ctype cups dba eds directfb doc dri dvd dvdread
54 > > > elibc_glibc emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam fastbuild
55 > > > foomaticdb
56 > > > force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gcj gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm
57 > > > gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal hardened idn imlib ipv6 jpeg java
58 > > > javascript kde kdexdeltas kernel_linux lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit
59 > > > mikmod mhash mng motif mozilla mime mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg
60 > > > opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline
61 > > > samba sdl session simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl ssl sse sse2 svg
62 > > > tcltk tcpd tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb udev
63 > > > userland_GNU vorbis x86 xml xml2 xmms xsl xv zlib"
64 > >
65 > > Do you really need all these USE flags and features? I think not.. Add
66 > > USE flags that really are useful not add them just because they might
67 > > become useful sometime.. The more features you have in your packages,
68 > > the slower and more memory hungry they are.. Take a look at my USE
69 > > flags..
70 >
71 > you think - but you don't know what he wants and needs.
72 >
73 > btw, I would emerge ufed and work down the list....
74
75 I've never used ufed, but after reading bout it now I think it's better
76 than manually editing.. Regardless of what way one chooses to select USE
77 flags I believe one must select the USE flags that are necessary..
78 The more features you got the more memory bloat it becomes..
82 > > USE="-X -arts -apache2 -berkdb -cups -dri -eds -esd -gdbm -gnome
83 > > -gstreamer -gtk -gpm -xmms 3dnow acl bash-completion bzip2 fbcon hal lzo
84 > > mbox mmx nsplugin nvidia offensive sse svga tiff urandom"
85 > >
86 > > -X because I don't every application to be built with X support, -arts
87 > > because of the same reason.. The applications that i think will need X
88 > > support I add a line like this to /etc/portage/package.use
89 >
90 > so you want to break douzends of packages for him? Why? -dri? Maybe he needs
91 > it? fbcon? Why? who needs it? You are telling him to deactivate usefull stuff
92 > and activate useless? Great!
93
94 I didn't recommend this to him.. You have misquoted me.. You missed the
95 sentence which said "Take a look at my USE flags".. These USE flags are
96 mine and I quoted them just to explain how to edit these files.. I don't
97 know what his system is so cant recommend the USE flags..
101 > > VIDEO_CARDS="<your video card" #like nvidia, ati
102 > that is not needed anymore. Look into the use descriptions. Or even better,
103 > get familiar with ufed.
104
105 If you use Xorg-7.0 it is useful.. (Also xine if I remember correctly(?))
109 > > Remember, always add the minimum USE flags you need to /etc/make.conf,
110 > > you should always tune your system to specific packages by adding USE
111 > > flags to be used for the specific package to /etc/portage/package.use
112 >
113 > oh, yeah, increase the work and risk subtle breakage here and there ....
114
115 There's always a risk when it comes to fine tuning your system that it
116 may break things.. You've to pay the price experimenting.. If you are
117 not brave enough the default are good, but performance will not match
118 the fine tuned machine (Although I'm sure the performance gain is not
119 worth the trouble, but the learning experience is worth)
120
121 Bye,
122 Farhan Ahmed
123 --
124 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
125 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
126 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
127 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)