From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 04:18:41
1 On Monday 01 May 2006 11:51 pm, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:18, Farhan Ahmed wrote:
3 > > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
4 >
5 > no, just no. This breaks enough stuff. Do not tell others to use it. If you
6 > want to use it. Fine. But do not tell anybody else to do it.
7
8 Why I asked before doing. What is it?
9
10 > > > MAKEOPTS=""
11 > >
12 > > MAKEOPTS="-j2"
13 >
14 > -j1 is a good one for singlecore/single cpu computer, where the compiling
15 > is running in the background.
16
17 Okay. That sounds non-violate.
18
19 > > > USE=" X a52 aac alsa apache2 acpi arts audiofile avi berkdb
20 > > > bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr cli crypt ctype cups dba eds directfb doc dri
21 > > > dvd dvdread elibc_glibc emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam
22 > > > fastbuild foomaticdb
23 > > > force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gcj gdbm gif glut gmp gnome gpm
24 > > > gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hal hardened idn imlib ipv6 jpeg java
25 > > > javascript kde kdexdeltas kernel_linux lcms libg++ libwww mad memlimit
26 > > > mikmod mhash mng motif mozilla mime mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg
27 > > > opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline
28 > > > samba sdl session simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl ssl sse sse2
29 > > > svg tcltk tcpd tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb
30 > > > udev userland_GNU vorbis x86 xml xml2 xmms xsl xv zlib"
31 > >
32 > > Do you really need all these USE flags and features? I think not.. Add
33 > > USE flags that really are useful not add them just because they might
34 > > become useful sometime.. The more features you have in your packages,
35 > > the slower and more memory hungry they are.. Take a look at my USE
36 > > flags..
37 >
38 > you think - but you don't know what he wants and needs.
39
40 I didn't change many from the defaults because I didn't know what most of them
41 were. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
42
43 > btw, I would emerge ufed and work down the list....
44
45 I'll emerge it now, and ask you what on earth it is now as well.
46
47 > > USE="-X -arts -apache2 -berkdb -cups -dri -eds -esd -gdbm -gnome
48 > > -gstreamer -gtk -gpm -xmms 3dnow acl bash-completion bzip2 fbcon hal lzo
49 > > mbox mmx nsplugin nvidia offensive sse svga tiff urandom"
50 > >
51 > > -X because I don't every application to be built with X support, -arts
52 > > because of the same reason.. The applications that i think will need X
53 > > support I add a line like this to /etc/portage/package.use
54 >
55 > so you want to break douzends of packages for him? Why? -dri? Maybe he
56 > needs it? fbcon? Why? who needs it? You are telling him to deactivate
57 > usefull stuff and activate useless? Great!
58
59 Yeah, but I don't usually go through and add stuff to package.use.
60
61 > > Remember, always add the minimum USE flags you need to /etc/make.conf,
62 > > you should always tune your system to specific packages by adding USE
63 > > flags to be used for the specific package to /etc/portage/package.use
64 >
65 > oh, yeah, increase the work and risk subtle breakage here and there ....
66
67 I agree with minimal USE flags, but I just don't know which ones I can get
68 away with disabling. So I go cautiously. It's saved me much pain.