From: Crayon Shin Chan <crayon.shin.chan.uk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems with clipboard separation
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:20:58
1 On Friday 16 November 2007, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
2 > This is the default behavior of X. Highlighting IS copying to the
3 > clipboard.
4
5 My point is that text which I did not *specifically* highlighted should
6 never be placed in the clipboard (whether primary/secondary/whatever).
7 Real life example:
8
9 1) in firefox/mozilla using CTRL-L will highlight the address url so you
10 can quickly replace it with something else, you can also use CTRL-V to
11 paste in something off the clipboard because firefox/mozilla does not
12 affect the clipboard when the address url is highlighted.
13
14 2) in Realplayer using CTRL-L will bring up a dialog where you can type in
15 a url, the current url is displayed in the dialog and is already
16 highlighted. However realplayer has also overwritten the clipboard with
17 the current url, which in 99.9999% of cases is NOT what a user wants,
18 because now I cannot paste in a new url without having to first delete
19 the current url, then go back and copy the new url and finally paste it
20 into realplayer.
21
22 > This is just how X works. Getting around this is a
23 > hack in itself.
24
25 But how is it that all KDE programs have "hacked" it so that it behaves
26 correctly (IMO), whereas some gtk based programs like realplayer are just
27 so clumsy (to put it charitably).
30 Crayon
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list