From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: must not (was Re: [gentoo-user] Raid reports wrong size)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:55:35
1 On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Dirk Heinrichs
2 <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Am Freitag, 19. Dezember 2008 21:53:47 schrieb Paul Hartman:
4 >> Yes, in English "must" can also mean that you infer or presume
5 >> something.
6 >
7 > Ah, yes. I remember :-)
8 >
9 >> So, instead of "your kernel must not be 64bits", maybe it
10 >> would have been clearer to say "I suspect you are not using a 64-bit
11 >> kernel; if you were, it would not have this problem". :)
12 >
13 > So can "your kernel must not..." be understood as "I suspect your kernel is
14 > not..."? Wasn't aware of this... Thanks for clarifying.
15
16 Yes, exactly. It is confusing, especially if you are used to languages
17 that have proper rules. I think the only rule in English is "there are
18 no rules in English" :) :) Here are English dictionary definitions for
19 "must" when used as a verb. I think in this case numbers 4 or 7 could
20 apply.
23 1 a: be commanded or requested to <you must stop> b: be urged to :
24 ought by all means to <you must read that book>
25
26 2: be compelled by physical necessity to <one must eat to live> : be
27 required by immediate or future need or purpose to <we must hurry to
28 catch the bus>
29
30 3 a: be obliged to : be compelled by social considerations to <I must
31 say you're looking well> b: be required by law, custom, or moral
32 conscience to <we must obey the rules> c: be determined to <if you
33 must go at least wait for me> d: be unreasonably or perversely
34 compelled to <why must you argue>
35
36 4: be logically inferred or supposed to <it must be time>
37
38 5: be compelled by fate or by natural law to <what must be will be>
39
40 6: was or were presumably certain to : was or were bound to <if he did
41 it she must have known>
42
43 7dialect : may , shall —used chiefly in questions