From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] See bootup/poweroff screen?
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:38:14
1 On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I just recall reading somewhere, systemd or not, that that is how it is
4 > supposed to work. After all, it can't run fsck and such while mounted
5 > rw from my understanding.
6
7 Keep in mind that an initramfs is nothing more than an archive file
8 containing some kind of init implementation (often just a shell
9 script) that the kernel unpacks and launches. It does whatever it is
10 designed to do. Some are more bare-boned than others.
11
12 I personally use dracut which has quite a few bells and whistles. If
13 you're using systemd as has already been pointed out it runs the
14 journal during early boot and merges it into the system journal when
15 it pivots. I believe that if you're not using systemd it captures
16 whatever it does to a log file in /run, but I don't think it
17 necessarily runs a full syslog listening to /dev/log and so on. That
18 said, nothing is really running that early in boot so as long as it
19 logs its own work you're fine. Often the level of logging is
20 configurable.
23 Rich