From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing printers via Cups
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 11:42:53
1 On Saturday, 13 February 2021 22:11:49 GMT Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 2/12/21 4:00 AM, Michael wrote:
3 > > Samba uses the native MSWindows 'Active Directory Domain Services'
4 > > over TCP port 445 to resolve IP addresses when printing over Samba.
5 >
6 > I question the veracity of this.
7 >
8 > My understanding is that name to ip resolution, particularly in Active
9 > Directory environments, is that it is all DNS based.
10
11 You are probably right. My knowledge of MSWindows environments has been on a
12 need to know basis, when I can't avoid it. ;-)
13
14 Active Directory Domain Services use port 445 to store and communicate domain
15 names, IP addresses, list of services available, etc. for a domain. I suppose
16 initial name to IP resolution happens over port 53, or UDP 5355 if there is no
17 local DNS resolver configured and the MSWindows setup uses LLMNR. Microsoft-
18 ds listens on TCP 445 and communicates stored DNS information to clients
19 regarding domain names, domain controller(s) and services. I don't know to
20 what extent microsoft-ds is integrated with the basic TCP-IP DNS service, but
21 expect there would be some logical linkage in there.
22
23 Anyhow, I think the OPs problem is down to the wrong CUPS driver used in
24 remote client(s).