From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP port 445
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:16:38
1 On 2/14/21 4:42 AM, Michael wrote:
2 > You are probably right. My knowledge of MSWindows environments has
3 > been on a need to know basis, when I can't avoid it. ;-)
4
5 Fair enough.
6
7 I've managed to avoid more Windows in the last 10 years than I could in
8 the previous 10 years.
9
10 > Active Directory Domain Services use port 445 to store and communicate
11 > domain names, IP addresses, list of services available, etc. for
12 > a domain.
13
14 TCP port 445 is not directly related to AD DS. Sure, AD DS /uses/ TCP
15 port 445, but so do computers that are not participating in AD DS.
16
17 TCP port 445 is the port that SMB runs over natively. Historically, SMB
18 would use TCP ports 137, 138, and 139 when it was still using the
19 NetBIOS over TCP (NBT).
20
21 > I suppose initial name to IP resolution happens over port 53, or UDP
22 > 5355 if there is no local DNS resolver configured and the MSWindows
23 > setup uses LLMNR. Microsoft- ds listens on TCP 445 and communicates
24 > stored DNS information to clients regarding domain names, domain
25 > controller(s) and services. I don't know to what extent microsoft-ds
26 > is integrated with the basic TCP-IP DNS service, but expect there
27 > would be some logical linkage in there.
28
29 I do not recall seeing anything about name resolution running over TCP
30 port 445.
31
32 ...
33
34 Even the venerable WINS (NetBIOS Name Service) ran over TCP port 137.
35
36 If you have any authoritative information that you can point to where
37 name resolution, of any type, runs over TCP port 445, please share it as
38 I'd like to read it.
39
40 > Anyhow, I think the OPs problem is down to the wrong CUPS driver used
41 > in remote client(s).
42
43 Agreed.
48 Grant. . . .