From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer sound issues
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:35:32
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 >On 2/28/06, Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>This is where it's kinda weird. If I use vo=alsa then the .wav files
7 >>won't play at all. If I use ao=arts, then they work, but skipping
8 >>around, like fast forwarding or rewinding lags. Like, I'll press the
9 >>left or right button and then about a second later it will actually
10 >>rewind or forward.
14 >In the KDE Control Center, under Sounds & Multimedia->Sound System,
15 >there is a control for the Sound buffer. Reducing that to the minimum
16 >should eliminate the lagging with arts.
19 Adjusting that doesn't have any affect. There's still a significant lag
20 regardless of how I adjust that buffer. That lag was there with arts
21 before I started having problems with alsa. There was no lag at all if
22 I just used ao alsa though. In fact it would seek so fast that the part
23 I skipped to played over the part I was on so I'd hear to parts of the
24 same file at the same time for a very very brief time. It was short
25 enough to not disrupt anything though, so in a way it kind of acted like
26 some sort of command recognition feedback. I know that's not how it's
27 meant to work, but it was nice when transcribing, heh.
28
29 >Also, on the "Hardware" tab of the Sound System configuration, is the
30 >audio device set to ALSA?
31 >
32 >-Richard
36 Yes